First Day of School

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies

This book is a compilation of stories and poems about fairies, goblins, dwarves, elves, personified animals, and other mystical creatures. Fairies and Elves holds a place near and dear to my heart as my mother read it to me as a child, her mother read it to her, and I now read it to my children. Many of the main characters are easy to fall in love with, such as Cannery Bear, Dickey Bundle, and the sweet little Merbaby. The stories jumpstart the imagination of the reader while addressing such issues as being greatful for the things you have, not taking things that don't belong to you, and recycling items you don't need anymore to those who might use them.
Singeli saving the King
Elves and Fairies was written in 1951, with several of its stories borrowed from other country's folklore. One story, titled "Singeli's Silver Slippers" was translated from Swedish, and surprisingly (at least for 1951) has a female heroin. Singeli lives an honest and right life, as her silver shoes were a gift from the Fairies of fortune who forwarn "if you, dear child, go astray, silver slippers will vanish away". She grows up during the story, where she learned her fathers trade, worked to support herself, and even managed to save the young King on day. Her story is full of fairy tale creatures that help shape her life without her knowledge, but entertain the reader. This is just one of the many exciting stories that the reader is sure to enjoy reading time and again.
The stories tend to be long, several pages with heavy text, so it would probably be best enjoyed if read aloud to a young audience, or read independantly by older, more fluid readers. In addition, the stories in this book have excellent language usage, which can be used as examples to teach in the classroom. Lines such as music that"reached out into shadowy spots and drew more and still more dancing couples", or how bushes "spread in a web for miles" or how tiny carriages "bowl along into the shadows".  To see children's faces when you read the book to them, as they see the pictures of the characters, you will see for yourself how wonderful this book is. But don't take my word for it, check it out to see for yourself!































































































































































































































































































































































































































3 comments:

  1. I like that you chose a collection that many people haven't heard of. I think new stories will be good for older children since they've heard many folk/fairy tales before. I love that you chose a book that has been passed down through generations; it makes the stories inside the book that much more special

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you selected a book that has personal meaning to you, and I hope that it is a collection of stories that you will pass along to your daughters, as well! Elf and fairy stories are some of my favorites, and I remember my mom reading them to me when I was a little girl. I love the cover art on this book! I personally love vintage pictures, so I think I would enjoy looking at this book as much as reading the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you chose a book that was important to you as a child! I also love that it is a part of your family tradition! I'm sure your daughters will look back on this book with great memories when they are older. The pictures you provided really remind me of books I used to read at my grandmother's house when I was younger, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete