First Day of School

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The View From Saturday

This novel is excellent. It tastefully approaches many difficult subjects that children face on a daily basis. Topics such as divorce, bullying, physical impairments, racial differentiation, religious tolerance, extended familial relationships, and even endangered species! The author takes a unique approach to introduce each of the four main characters by creating a timeline of sorts. Each chapter is a window into the character's life, and is punctuated by portions of the culminating scene. The book begins where it ends, but the whole story is a spider's web of events that ties the characters lives together in many ways. Each character, unique in their own way, learns the importance of kindness through their "journeys". Many scenes made me laugh, many made me sad, some even made me blush! One instance in the book was when one character asked her aged husband how he could stand to play the same song over and over again on his violin. His response, which I believe was a little too grown up for a kids book, was "why don't you ask me how I can stand to make love to the same woman over and over"! Another grown up event in the book was when the school bully wrote the "A" word on one of the main character's back pack. He of course fixed it by changing the vulgar message to say "I am a passenger on spaceship earth". Many underlying proverb like messages underline the text, and the descriptions of people, events, and locations made me feel like part of the story itself. I think the lessons in this book are valuable, and the story itself is entertaining and well written, but perhaps the content is better for older students. As an adult though, I really enjoyed reading this one!

3 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued by this book. Rarely do you find stories that can weave together so many subjects in a way that really works. It sounds like it is a good way to introduce many of these important issues with our students. You expressed some concerns, though, about mature content in the book. Would you still recommend it for classroom use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the windows on the front of the book and the fact that each chapter was described as a window into one of the 4 main characters' lives. This book sounds like it touches on almost all of the divisive things kids face in school, which can be a good thing. I do have two big concerns with that though. First is the mature content issue that you and Heather raise; I, too , would like to know whether you'd still recommend it for the classroom. My second concern is that the author can only give a surface coverage of each issue by cramming so many of them into one book. I wonder if it would be more effective to pick one or two to focus on in-depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really interesting. I've read other works by the same author but never this one. I am having a hard time understanding the plot and characters so I will have to check it out for myself. Like Brian and Heather, I wonder if you would recommend this book for the classroom if it contains more adult subject matter?

    ReplyDelete